Monday, June 13, 2011

Chocolate gives her migraines...

An old friend has been following our page on Facebook, and happened by Becca Towers in time to get the last slice of the Butterscotch cake we had tried out specially for Mr Becca's birthday, along with her order of cupcakes.  She was really impressed by it, bless her, and commissioned one for her mum's 65th birthday a few weeks later.  Turns out her mum gets migraines from chocolate, so they'd never really got her a special cake before.  I was most happy to oblige, of course, as the cake had worked well the first time and tasted good, yet I saw where I could make modifications without ruining it.
So this time, I used half and half dark brown and light brown sugar which gave a slightly stronger butterscotch taste.  I also baked the cakes for a few minutes less each, giving a softer springier sponge.  Tanya had given me her gravy boat, so that I could keep all the pouring sauce for her to pour over each slice rather than over the cake in its entirety.  She had requested silver balls on top in the number 65 and some glitter.  No problem, I said, not realising that the silver balls would sink into the cream cheese icing and even bleed and droop slightly.  I had taken my photos immediately the cake was completed, and it looked  little worse when it was collected.  Luckily Tanya was really kind and said it was fine.  I just hope I remember this the next time it comes up...

Oh, and everyone loved the cake!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have enjoyed reading this post, feel free to leave us a comment, and why not check out some of our other posts :)