Saturday, December 29, 2012

Petal technique ombre birthday cake

It was M's mums birthday and they'd loved the Rainbow cake I'd made them recently, so wanted something in lilac for this family occasion.  No problem I said, there was something I'd been wanting to try out for a little while now, and this seemed like the perfect chance.
Like the petal cake I'd done as Mini-2's party cake, this was also going to utilise that lovely effect.  But this time, I wanted to try shading the colours of icing.  Hence the 'ombre' in the title, meaning shadow (or something similar at least).  I used the same recipe as for the rainbow cake, but only split the mix into 3 bowls, and made 3 shades of purple for the sponge.
They look good, right?  I wanted to achieve the same shades with the buttercream too, and think I nearly got it...
Then it was a case of icing the cake, after its crumb-coating.  I had previously not continued the design onto the top of the cake, and was quite pleased with how prettily this worked out this time.
Then it was a case of adding on the little plaque to say Happy Birthday Grandma on top - I love these plaque cutters.  I bought them online from Karen's cookies and will use them for cookies soon too.
 I couldn't decide which picture looked prettier, I think the latter - what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have enjoyed reading this post, feel free to leave us a comment, and why not check out some of our other posts :)