Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hummingbird Lemon Poppyseed cake

For my birthday I got a voucher for Amazon, and chose for myself (ostensibly from the Team) 2 cookbooks - the first book produced by the Hummingbird Bakery and the other from one of the ladies who featured on the Channel 4 tv series Cook Yourself Thin Harry Eastwood's Red Velvet & Chocolate Heartache. 
Having flicked through the former, I was really keen to try out the Black Bottomed cupcake recipe, coz it'd been so good when I'd tried it on my mini-break to London in May.  Also, the Lemon Poppyseed cake looked good.  And I just happen to have found a lovely metal ring cake tin at TK Maxx, which is supremely helpful for this cake, as it's made in - you guessed it - a ring tin.
It was easy enough, and rose beautifully in the greased and floured tin. I was worried that a) it wouldn't rise much as the only other cake I've tried in a ring tin didn't and b) I'd struggle to remove it from the tin.  Luckily, both fears were unfounded.  However, the recipe did state you were to make a drizzle syrup and pour it on to the sponge fresh-out-of-the-oven then tip it onto a wire rack to cool completely before icing.  Logically, I didn't see how that could work, as evidenced by the following photo...
Nevermind, it cooled soon enough anyway.  But because it was on a small plate, the icing overflowed.  And I was slightly heavy-handed with the decorative poppyseed at first...
But it sliced up beautifully and tasted great - soft, light sponge, sticky lemon glaze and sweet lemon icing.  Mmmm, but you do need a tooth pick handy afterwards, ha ha

1 comment:

If you have enjoyed reading this post, feel free to leave us a comment, and why not check out some of our other posts :)