Friday, October 26, 2012

Rainbows for Eid

I was thrilled to be asked to make a rainbow cake again.  The last (only) one I'd done was for our  most recent wedding anniversary which was a few months ago now, so I was excited.  This one too was for a special occasion, Eid, so it had to be just right.
I remember hearing, (perhaps on Grey's Anatomy once?) that in medicine the operations/surgeries were See One, Do One, Teach One.  Now, whilst I'm not by any stretch of the imagination equating cake baking to surgical operations, it feels like it might be similar.  I've made one rainbow cake so I feel confident in making another, or talking someone through what worked for me.  Just saying...
Anyway, back to the matter at hand.  I again had to go next door to borrow her Wilton Sky Blue colouring, because I hadn't got around to buying me one yet.  I did see Dr Oetker's new gel paste colours on offer at my local Sainsbury's supermarket so I picked up a red, ultra violet and a sky blue for next time.  I tried out the red this time actually, and wasn't impressed.  It was red, but far too pale for my needs. 
My go-to brand for food colour is Sugarflair, but last time I needed red colouring I wasn't near a shop that sold it, so bought Wilton Red Red instead.  A touch of this into the pale colour I had for my batter and whoosh, a much deeper colour.  I didn't want to add too much in case it affected the taste, so left it at that.
Once again the cake was pleasingly tall and full, and I covered it in white buttercream icing (though could probably have done with a couple of crumb-coats, and have made a note of this for next time) and picked out one of the colours to make the plaque.  The customer's hubby collected the cake, as she was so busy in her kitchen cooking up the feast, and he was kind enough to ask her to send me a couple of photos once it was cut. 
Thanks to her we have these fun shots of the interior, and you can see what I mean by the not-as-bright-as-last-time red of the first layer.  Still great fun though, and what great light she had in her next photo!
And the best part?  Her family loved the cake she chose for their celebration.  Eid Mubarak everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have enjoyed reading this post, feel free to leave us a comment, and why not check out some of our other posts :)