Saturday, May 26, 2012

Butterscotch, piano, motorbikes... and cake

Mr Becca has 3 things he really likes (apart from us, his lovely ladies of course) - riding his motorbike, learning to play piano and butterscotch.  Last year, I made him a butterscotch cake with butterscotch drizzle and cream cheese icing and he enjoyed it very much.  As did a friend, who then ordered it for her mother's birthday a couple of weeks later!  (her mother gets migraines from chocolate and T felt that this was the perfect way for her mum to enjoy a delicious cake).
I felt that making a motorbike shaped cake was a little outside my comfort zone, so opted for the classic Meatloaf philosophy of 'Two outta three ain't bad' and decided to do a piano decorated butterscotch flavoured cake.  I had saved a few cake photos for inspiration, but the new recipe I wanted to try wouldn't suit having a fondant covering on top, as I felt it would impact the taste of the cake too greatly. 
So, to cut a long story short, I made the cake, decorated it then used piping chocolate and copied the first few bars of Fur Elise from one of his piano study books. In hindsight, I should have used more room for the music lines but hey, ho - he could read the music and loved the cake, so I was thrilled. Happy birthday darling!
Even better, I came downstairs to this note on the counter the next morning - high praise indeed, woop woop!!

3 comments:

  1. Two great songs in one great post!

    I bet that cake was FABULOUSLY delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes it was. Usually we share a large part of each item we bake, simply to get it all eaten whilst still fresh and tasty. This one, we mostly ate ourselves ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

If you have enjoyed reading this post, feel free to leave us a comment, and why not check out some of our other posts :)