Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Chocolate cola cake? Whatever next!

A friend had made a cake for her friends a few weeks ago that sounded intriguing - chocolate cola cake.  She sent me the recipe link and I printed it out a few days ago, thinking it'd be fun and easy to try out.  It actually needed cola, so I had to go out and buy some.  Now, before you get to thinking that I'm really healthy and don't drink the stuff - uh uh, I only drink diet and caffeine-free, so had to buy the real stuff.  Diet so I have more calories to 'spend' on cake etc and caffeine-free because caffeine seems to trigger hours-long dizzy and headache spells latterly, which I can do without.  I haven't figured out any other triggers, but caffeine was a definite, so it's been off my personal menu for about 6 months now.
After adding the cola and milk and other necessary ingredients, and baking it then making the icing straight away (again using cola) - you had to pour the still-warm icing directly onto the still-warm cake and leave it all to cool in the tin.
One thing I would like to show you is the mess!  I wouldn't normally show anyone the mess, but I wasn't expecting this, at all.  The cake mix was really wet and took me by surprise.  Next time (and yes, I've written a note on the recipe itself) I shall use my Kenwood in which to make the cake mix. 
And the next morning we see the finished product.  One medium-light, soft and moist chocolate cake.  None of us could really taste the cola, but I think it makes the cake nice and moist.  Try it out yourself and let me know how you get on, please?!

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a great recipe! Thanks for posting the link! : )

    ReplyDelete

If you have enjoyed reading this post, feel free to leave us a comment, and why not check out some of our other posts :)